Re: [Fwd: Re: I know, it's only rock and roll....(BUT)!!!!!!]

To: rrengineer@dslextreme.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: I know, it's only rock and roll....(BUT)!!!!!!]
From: KrkLH@cs.com
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 05:00:52 EDT
I asked a CHP the other day how he likes his BMW bike compared to Harleys
that he may have ridden in the past?

He said that he really loves the performance with the BMW when pulling down
speeders - however, for being in the saddle all day he said the Harley was more
comfortable.   He also said that his BMW bike was about 20k miles over limit.
 By over limit he meant that the department changes them out at a certain
mileage - but the department has not changed the bikes out yet, so all the guys
are riding Beemers that are to varying degrees beyond the mileage limit usually
set by the CHP.   He went on to say that his department is in talks with
Harley and BMW and that the department might go back to Harleys.

He then went on to tell me that the only thing he does not like about the
Harleys is oil starvation while pursuing a speeder for a fairly long period of
time.   He said that the Harleys tend to starve out for oil in the top end if
they are run hard at high speeds beyond what the average owner would run the
bike.

That was a first for me.  I have never heard that about Harleys before - yet
this is exactly what this officer told me.

I actually told him that I have ridden my Road King on US 395 at 100 mph for
short bits.  He said that it would take much more than that to create the
starvation problem.

395 in California runs along Mono lake amongst other things and can be, in
many places, very desolate -  with virtually no other cars around.   This is
the
only road where I have taken my bike up to 100 and then let it sit there for
a bit.

Kirk