74 MIDGET Alternator choices

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: 74 MIDGET Alternator choices
From: "Dale Gleason" <inaverysmallroom@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 21:16:42 -0500
I have an alternator that is no longer getting a good charge back to my
battery. The belt is fine and I believe all of the connections to be firm.
The alternator itself whistles and sings like the bearings are shot. As the
past 5 months have progressed the ability of the battery to receive any kind
of charge has steadily declined.

I know that one could refurb the alternator and its inner workings.
However, this is the original 1974 alternator and I gotta wonder if its
about time for a new one. With it getting colder, the idea of a quickly dead
battery is .well..

My question is --- if I did ever come to a place in my Midget restore where
I do install a radio/speaker setup (long way off) -- WHAT brand / make of
alternator may be a good alternative for a radio/speaker set-up that might
pull more power than a stock radio ? I have been 'given the idea' that the
standard may not be formidabble enough to supply enough juice for a more
demanding electrical system.
(much less do a fine job and not require a wild fitting)

Ignorance is NOT bliss.
Thanks.
Miles