Car Value Question and car for sale.

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Car Value Question and car for sale.
From: MGRAZIANO@austin.rr.com
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 21:04:03 -0600
Hey guys,

I know it's been a while...   But I just haven't had time to figure out
why the Midget's been overheating, and I don't forsee having time in
the near future.  And we can't spend the money right now on just having
it repaired.  So I've decided to sell it (I cant bear to hear my wife
complain about it even one more time).

Can anyone give me their thoughts on a value?  Here are the specs...

'78 Midget in Jaguar Brooklands Green (dark) and black interior.
Body in overall OK shape.  Both rear quarter panels will need to be
repaired/replaced.  Rot in one, and damage from an accident on the
other.  Scratches here and there in the paint.  The seats/top/interior
are in pretty good condition.  The top only leaks a little.
Floors/sills/pillars in good shape with no rust/rot.  Ive installed a
real oil pressure gauge, real temp gauge, and a volt meter, but not in
the dash (theyre on a little panel I installed over the radio so its
reversible).

Brake and clutch hydraulics will need to be gone over due to sitting.
Tires hold air and have good thread, but are getting old (Michelin X-
Metric).

The real value is under the hood.  It has a 1500 motor (no
wisecracks).  The pistons are .30 over flat tops.  The deck has been
shaved a little.  The head has been ported and polished.  UK Spec HS4s
installed.  285 Kent cam.  Vernier cam gear and double chain set.  The
oil ports have been oversized to match the high capacity oil pump.
Ive been running Syntec after the break-in on the rebuild.  The tranny
was new 5-7K miles ago, and was a NEW morris heavy duty transmission.
Not rebuilt.  This was the last one Jon Esposito had over at Quantum
Mechanics in 2000.  I converted the alternator to the GM 60 Amp unit.
It has a 3.7 pumpkin.  Ive got a 3.9 and a 4.22 in the garage, but I
may sell those separately.  I shed most of my spare parts before I
moved, but  I have a few other items like starters, axles, and
alternators.

As for the current issue.  Its overheating.  Ive never burst the
radiator cap, as I was always conscious of the engine temp (so
technically, its getting real hot but not yet overheated).  Ive had
the radiator flow tested and cleaned.  Tried a few different fans.
Changed the hoses.  Retimed the cam.  Retimed the ignition.  Changed
the water pump.  Messed with the water/antifreeze combinations.  Maybe
a few other things.  Truthfully, I think the issue is that 1. Im in
Texas (the car never had an issue in NY, but this appeared soon after I
arrived).  And 2.  the engine isnt stock.  A more efficient radiator
than stock may have to be installed.  I just dont have time to work on
it any more.

Thats all I can think of.  Any questions?  Im in Austin, TX.

Pics at http://home.austin.rr.com/mgraziano/
I have many more I can send.

mike