Re: Blind Distributor Installation Help

To: "Dale Gleason" <inaverysmallroom@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Blind Distributor Installation Help
From: derf <derf247@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 08:45:39 -0600
Don't fret.  I installeed a modified Hitachi dizzy in my 1275 and then a
modified Nippon(Isuzu) dizzy which I am still currently running.  In order
to facilitate the installs, I had to actually drill the rotor shaft and
install the drive dog.  So, all hope of knowing anything about where to
start was lost.  I could have paid a little more attention and got somewhere
near where the dizzy cap says #1 is supposed to be but I didn't.  There are
4 outs and the adjustment is more than 90degrees so there is enough built in
adjustment to allow for errors in alignment.
Now, the firing order is 1-3-4-2 and the dizzy rotor turns CCW.  There are
at least two ways to attack this.  If you didn't remove your dizzy drive
thingy (the part way down in the block that connects the dizzy to the
camshaft) then you have a 50/50 chance of getting it right the first time,
if the dizzy cap has a "1" on one of the posts.  If there is no "1" then you
can reference your old cap and wires, if the wires are still connected.
Blah Blah Blah.

Method 1:
Pull the #1 plug.  Rotate the motor by hand until you feel pressure coming
from the #1 plug hole.  This means the #1 is on the compression stroke and
#1 is about to fire.  Install the dizzy and the rotor will point at or near
the #1 plug wire post.

Method 2:
Install the wires on the plugs and then on the cap in a 1-3-4-2 CCW manner.
Install the dizzy loose enough to turn by hand but tight enough so that it
will stay where you put it when you turn the motor over.  *Turn the motor
over.  If it starts, walla! (or voila!), you did it.  If it doesn't start,
try rotating the dizzy some CW and CCW, trying to start it with every
20degrees or so of movement.  If no start, then move the plug wires in the
cap one place CCW.  Repeat from *.

You will not damage the motor with method 2.  These little A series motors
are one step away from tractor motors.  You will probably be able to hear or
"feel" when you get in the ballpark by the way the motor acts/sounds on
turning it over.
Cheers,
Derf