Re: Steering Wheel Adapter

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Steering Wheel Adapter
From: "M Lempert" <mlempert@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 21:17:54 -0500
Some of the Triumphs do use the same 36 spline configuration as the MKI and
MKII Sprites and MKI Midgets, however, there are differences that need to be
dealt with when attempting to interchange hubs.  The back of the hub where
the hole leads to the splines is tapered. This taper meets another on the
steering shaft to determine how far on it goes.  I've tried a Triumph hub
and it slides down farther due to a different taper. It then rubs the shaft
cover and can make it difficult to turn.

Broaching (the tooling process that creates the splines) is always a problem
as our broaching houses here in the states don't have the fine British
spline broaches.  I have made my hubs using inserts which I had made in
England.  I have some inserts still available if anyone is interested.  You
still need a hub though.

Regards,
Mike Lempert
http://www.lempertwheels.com