Re: Car Names Explained

To: Spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Car Names Explained
From: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 22:58:53 -0800
>Here in the US, we have the Ford Model "T" and such vehicles as the J2
>Allard (and wasn't there also a J2 Deusenberg?), Pontiac GTO, Ford

  GTO was not a US car name, GTO stands for "gran turismo
omologato"  and Pontiac did not need to homolgate the motor for
racing, it was just plain stealing the name because well it sounds so
cool and yeah the Pontiac GTO is pretty cool too.

  I personally don't understand why names are so important, they
define a car when its new but you can't tell me that a 2007 Mustang
has anything at all to do with a 1966 Mustang, or that a 1966 Dino
has anything to do at all with the new Dino. I think when they build
a car, there should be a point where they improve it into a new name
or at least clearly identify it as nothing to do with the original
and let the original name go into history.  Same goes for name
re-using...I don't think it should be allowed, like Le Mans, GTO,
etc. some names are too important to be re-used but then they would
run out of letters awfully quick so its best they re-use names I guess.

   Mike (proud owner of a original 1934 Le Mans, long before Ferrari
used it and Pontiac used it)

Mike Rambour
Bug Writer err...Programmer
       mikey@b2systems.com
If you want to learn more about the ULTIMATE BRITISH sports car,
then take a look at   http://www.singercars.com/