Re: rear wheel bearing and seals

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: rear wheel bearing and seals
From: Ron Soave <soavero@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 06:32:19 -0800 (PST)
The double bearing hubs kits work well, both for
sealing and axle life. The WC kit is what I have,
there is some grinding of the lip on the brake backing
plate as well as the heads of the bolts (you'll see).
Check Acme Speed Shop or Rick Haynes
(http://www.sportsandimports.biz)

Search "schmoo" in the archives for Flounder's method,
which has worked well for me, using a sealed bearing
Peter can get you. I pull axles on the race Sprite
almost every month for diff changes (sometimes several
times in a weekend), I always use a new o-ring as
well, even if it's only been there for a few miles.
Pressing in seals properly helps a lot in any
configuration.

On the street cars, I used the standard single bearing
hub with the paper gasket/o-ring seals with surfaces
cleaned and buffed. I do apply a tiny bit of RTV to
the paper gasket with a syringe. I do the same on many
engine sealing surfaces. Some may scoff, but I haven't
had to repeat sealing the hubs, nor do my engines
leak.

http://new.mail.yahoo.com