Re: More Fuel System Troubles

To: Bert Shirey <bertshirey@zoominternet.net>
Subject: Re: More Fuel System Troubles
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 16:59:42 -0500
Bert Shirey wrote:

>     Question: Can an electric (SU Solid-State) fuel pump loose pressure enough
> to affect performance, yet still pump fuel?

I don't think so unless it's sucking air somewhere.
But my kid's Mini just had a similar problem, it's been sitting a couple
months, gas dried up in the float bowl but the float was stuck telling
the pump it was full. He has an HIF so we had to take it off, turn it
over, uncover the float and wiggle it. All is well now. But his pump
went tick-tick and he thought the carb was full. I pulled the hose and
gas pumped out. Put it back on and no ticky ticky. Thus the carb tear down.
Are both the carbs getting gas? Pull the float covers and look after the
pump stops ticking.
There may be dirt or varnish in the jet tube too. sop out the gas in the
bowls or atleast cover them and try blowing air down the jet tube back
into the bowl and see if anything comes out that shouldn't be there.
Sticky pistons will make for major headaches too. Again wipe off the
piston and dashpot with a clean lint free rag.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ