Timely restoration (republished) part1

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Timely restoration (republished) part1
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 20:53:40 -0500
It must be too long for MJB so part 2 will follow.
This is from a couple years and restorations ago.

What is a "Timely" restoration?
3 years? 1 year? a couple months?
For me it seems to be a few months.
Last year I took a rolling Bugeye sprite and totally restored it in
under 60 days from the day I trailered it home to the day I rallyed it.
This year I picked up a basket case Austin Healey 3000. I bought it June
3rd and entered it in a show October 9th.
I hear of 12 year restoration projects. I re-restore my cars in 12
years! I also use them as they were intended and I don't worry about a
chip in the paint or a mechanical breakdown.
If nothing happens on the way to the event, what would you talk about
when you get there?

So how do you restore a car in a few months?

First, you need the enthusiasm to do the project. Then you have to
stumble on the car you want to restore. Next you have to have ambition,
time, tools, and of course money. Do not attempt a restoration with out
all of the above.

Ambition means you really want to do as much of the project as you can
with your own hands.
Time means giving up a few stupid TV shows that have no redeeming social
value. I would never give up the Sopranos but The Apprentice has nothing
to do with life as I know it.
Tools, you must have basic hand tools, an air compressor suitable for
body work, air opertated body working tools, hammers and dollys, a
welder, good drill with sharp bits, angle grinder with cut off disks and
grinding disks, punches, chisels, and a good vice.
If you have to buy all these to start your project, just spend the money
on a finished car, it will be cheaper.
And money $$. Yes, you will need money. Parts cost money, metal costs
money, nuts and bolts, new brakes, and paint and body supplies all cost
money. There is no getting around this part because you might borrow
some tools from your friends and neighbors, but they will not lend you
money for an old rusty car.