Re: Engine and gearbox removal questions

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Engine and gearbox removal questions
From: Daniel1312@aol.com
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 16:46:54 EST
Hi List,

I have more than the height of the engine above the bonnet line and then some
so I figure that I can lift the engine and box clear without the crane
hitting the roof beam.

The roof beam supports an asbestos roof panel and it looks to be a bad idea
to try and remove it.

I figure if I go critical on height it would be possible to jack up my
Sprite, remove the front wheels and lower the chassis legs on some pieces of
timber
and that this would give me some extra headroom if absolutely necessary.

I have 4 foot if not 5 foot or more to push the Sprite back in the garage so
I have room at the front to lift the engine and box clear.  I'll be working
with the garage doors shut so won't end up whizzing down my short drive and
into
the road trying to hold back an engine crane, engine and box.

I'll probably manoevre the car to one side of the garage (the garage is wide)
 so I have somewhere to put the engine box down and out of the way.

I've ordered the crane today - it was a cheap Sealey and I figure it's
cheaper than renting a crane for this engine pull and the one I'll do later in
the
year when I replace the engine.

I've ordered new engine mounts (old ones are perished I noticed yesterday).

I've also ordered the competion steel operating block for the 5 speed to
replace the standard one.  I've never seen a standard one break but know they
do.
Also I bet it's a swine of a job to change the operating block with the
gearbox in the car if not impossible so now is the time to do it.

I've also ordered a new gearbox nose section so the aluminium alloy Caterham
6 speed nose cone I've had for about 4 years can be fitted to the box
replacing the steel/cast iron one that is the standard fit.  It's not a big
weight
saving but every little helps.

Finally, I've had a garage tidy up to try and make space for the crane to
live permanently in the garage.

Daniel1312