RE: VW Busses

To: "'chuck'" <cciaffone@verizon.net>, "'spridget list'"
Subject: RE: VW Busses
From: "Bud Osbourne" <abcoz@hky.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 18:22:36 -0500
Yeah, I forgot about the dual carbs being used on the early Typ. 4
engines.  But, Bosch put the same FI system out in '81 that they did in
'77.  You just got stuck with a bad one.  In fact, most of what Bosch
produced in the early 80s was inferior stuff.
As far as front engined, water-cooled VW vans go, you'll NEVER get me
into one of those.  Mine is the same as your '81, with the exception of
the "water-boxer", which is a neat little 1.9 liter flat four, and water
cooled.  Very smooth and quiet, if not real powerful.  Later versions
used a 2.1 liter water-boxer, which was marginally more powerful.
Really, the build quality on all of the Vanagons I've seen is pretty
damned good.
Bud Osbourne