Dixon all Brit show

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Dixon all Brit show
From: "Glen Byrns" <grbyrns@ucdavis.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 10:17:56 -0700
The annual all Brit show sponsored by the local club was this last Sunday.
Poor little blue-collar Austin Powerless (my 1958 A35)was in the Winner's
Circle this year and had little chance against all the tops of last year's
crop, but the shade was definitely better in the Winner's Circle.  Some small
stirring of righteousness when the MGA and AH100-4 that were on either side of
me pulled out of the Winner's Circle ahead of me, only to head for their
respective trailers while I hit the highway.  Should have known after they
spent part of the day discussing the merits of their multi-thousand $$
paintjobs and what duster was best at flicking off the specks without damaging
the precious paint.  I wiped some bug-guts off the front with a red mechanics
rag and some Windex, sat down between them and observed that for the $200
cost, my paint was looking pretty sharp.  Silence.  Now I know what its like
to wear bluejeans and teeshirt to the opera with a beer in one hand and a
finger up a nostril.    Still, it was fun.

I could try to list all the lister's who showed up, but it would be better if
they each posted to give their impressions and favorites of the show.  There
were over 200 cars on the field and virtually every breed was well
represented.  Rather than trust my porous memory, here's a link to the club
page that lists the winners in each class.
http://www.ubscc.org/dixon2007/Winners_2007.htm

As you can see, there was an amazing crosssection of Brit cars.  The fantastic
53 Rolls was there agian this year, but the glaring defect that had plagued
him in previous years was resolved.  He had somehow found a replacement
Sterling silver toothpick to complete the picnic set built into the bootlid,
so all was right with the world.  On the way home, I spotted him in the
parking lot of the local market (probably getting some little weenies for the
toothpicks), NO Trailer!!!  Sure looked funny parked amidst all the Camrys and
Kias.  The red Lotus Europa appeared ahead of me on the freeway home doing
only 55!  In a moment I'll never forget, I hit the turn signal, moved over,
and PASSED a Lotus Europa in a 58 Austin.  Once in a lifetime!!

Glen Byrns