Re: Master cylinder

To: derf <derf247@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Master cylinder
From: "J F" <tr3.4.me@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 13:22:45 -0500
On 5/25/07, derf <derf247@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't know if brake fluid can defy the law of gravity.

I was actually thinking (or maybe _hoping_ so I wouldn't need to
replace it) that possibly when braking pressure was forcing it out.
But I don't know if that's possible - therefore the question to you
guys with more experience with these.

> Are you overfilling the M/C?

No, that's not it.  If anything it's a bit low thanks to that leaking
wheel cylinder!

> What year is the car?

1973, but the brakes have been switched from the correct dual-line
system to the older single-line system by the DPO.

My guess at this point is the master cyclinder needed replaced and the
cheaper single-line cylinder was put in instead of rebuilding the
dual-line.

I was thinking of restoring it back to dual but then I saw the price
of the required parts: $250 for the master cylinder and another $600
for the pressure warning assembly!  Ouch!!