Re: [Spridgets] Another computer question - NO LBC

To: derf <derf247@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Another computer question - NO LBC
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 22:27:30 -0400
derf wrote:

> I have my tire work done at a ratty tire shop that used to be a gas
> station.

I always go to the local non chain shop whenever possible.
In my line of work, flat tires on the truck are a monthly problem.
My shop still plugs tires and usually doesn't charge me.
I flip the guy a few bucks anyway as a tip.
I also buy all my tires from this shop, they tell me to undo and put on
the lug nuts on all the old cars. I can use their impact wrench if I
want but I opt to use a lug wrench.
I can stand in the shop and BS with the guys and when I go in for tires,
I try to make it the last job of the day and I bring the guys their
favorite beverage.
Yes they do wire wheels! (for me)
One time I went to the chain tire store because my shop told me the
chain had a certain brand tire that my wife blew apart hitting a pot
hole. They lost the center cap, did me a favor and painted the alloy
wheel a totally different color from the rest and it took 3 days for
them to mess everything up!
Same deal at the local muffler shop, I had them weld the whole system
together and to the mounts to eliminate some rattles.
They used their pipe, made the bends, and installed my muffler on the
Sprite, total cost 12 beers.
They also made up an exhaust system for my A40, that was a few bucks for
the muffler but they had fun doing something out of the ordinary.
My glass shop guy doesn't drink beer but coffee and donuts on a Saturday
morning will get the windshield put in the frame. I do offer to pay at
all these places but I have been a familiar face in these shops for 20+
years or I went to school with the guys.
And when I need a windshield for my daughter's car or my truck, Mike
gets the job, I don't ask how much because I know he will treat me right
and do the job correct.
I also do some carpentry work for them whenever they need something in a
pinch. They offer to pay me but one hand washes the other.
Likewise when the new out of the box Dell smoked and I was on hold for
an hour and 45 minutes, I went to a local shop and bought HIS computer.
When I did have a problem, I called, a real person answered the phone
and walked me thru the trouble. I told HIM to hold on while I worked out
the problem and he did.
I wish my favorite auto parts store was still here so I didn't have to
go to the big chinese auto parts stores where some pimple faced kid
doesn't even know what an engine looks like. Now I rely on Peter for
stuff for all my cars. I ask him if he has it, I don't ask the price.
He helps me with my cars and YES, I have helped him with his house.
I go the the same gas station with the same owner who taught me how to
put air in my bicycle when I was 8. He still hangs out there even though
his kids or grand kids now run the place.
These are the things that make a neighborhood a community.
If the person behind the counter does not speak understandable english,
I walk out and do not go back.

Rant over

--
Frank Clarici