[Spridgets] Diff action

To: derf247@gmail.com, thefirebuilds@gmail.com
Subject: [Spridgets] Diff action
From: Daniel1312@aol.com
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 14:24:19 EDT
Torsen is brand name and Gleason (?) have in recent years protected their
brand name product.

Torsen means Torque Sensing and is a gear type diff and was first used, to my
knowledge, in the original Audi Quatro (I guess it used 3?).  A torsen diff
gradually locks up the diff action to a preset 80 or 95% or whatever.  A Quaife
diff is a torsen but they've had to call it automatic torque biasing.  The
Phantom Grip has a torsen effect but is a device to modify the behaviour of a
diff.

An LSD or plate type diff doesn't sense torque but I think speed.  What
happens is that it doesn't lock across the diff but switches power to one wheel
-
the one with grip.  This is a Trannex, Gripper or the ZF like in some BMWs.

I always think of viscous as a viscous coupling rather than a diff but I
suppose they can be made as a diff.  Ferguson have the patent on them as far as
know.  I'm less certain how a viscous works but expect a similar response to a
Torsen.

The driven characteristics between a Torsen and an LSD is markedly different.

Regards

Daniel1312