Re: [Spridgets] Halogen headlights

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Halogen headlights
From: Chris M West <chris_west@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 11:59:35 -0400
I have a 63 mkII that I want to upgrade the headlights on. Looking at the
Moss catalog, I see they have "Crystal Clear" headlights for about $30
each,
Wipac's for $107 a pair, and Hella's for about $45 each. Victoria British
has
"Euro Style" ones for $30 each, which look similar to the "Crystal Clear"
ones. I was wondering if anyone had good or bad experiences with these,
or
had any other recommendations. Also, any suggestions for what kind of
bulb
(white, blue, etc) to put in them?

Thanks,
Ric

Ric,
    I have sold the major brands of halgen replacement (aka E Code) lamps
since 1972.  That includes Cibie, Marchal and Hella.  I would suggest the
Hella for one important reason.  Their lamps use a polished zinc
reflector surface.  Most if not all of the competition uses chrome plated
steel.  The chromed steel can (and will eventually) rust, ruining the
light.  Repair is by replacement.  The polished zinc may lose its sheen
over time but will never rust.  As for bulb selection, stick with white.
Most E Code lights specify H4 style replacement bulbs.  I have seen these
in 55/60 watt low/high beam wattage (standard) as well as 55/80. 55/100
and 80/100 watt (these latter usually marked  "off road use only").
Stick with the standard wattage if you don't plan on wiring a relay into
the circuit.

Chris

AN5L35578