[Spridgets] Datsun speedo attachment

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] Datsun speedo attachment
From: "Glen Byrns" <grbyrns@ucdavis.edu>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 09:20:06 -0700
Robert,

If the cable isn't inserted carefully, the nylon speedo gear in the datsun
tranny will strip easily leaving a dead spot in the gear teeth.  Check the
assembly by turning the transmission over with the cable attached and check
for motion at the speedo end.  If turing the trans doesn't turn the cable,
remove the cable and test. With the cable removed, rolling the back or
forward will allow you to reach through the shifter hole and put your
fingertip on the speedo gear end and feel it turn.  If it turns, all is
good, reconnect properly and test again.  If it doesn't turn beneath your
fingertip as the car is pushed backward in gear, replace the speedo gear.
To do it without pulling the trans, jack the back of the car up as high as
you can to move all the trans oil to the front, lay a rag under the speedo
gear of the trans, have the new one in your hand as you pull the little bolt
and worry the old one out.  Quickly push the new one in with twisting motion
and bolt into place.  To tighten the conversion adaptor for the Datsun box
to the speedo gear, I made a special wrench from a flat piece of steel plate
about 2"x6" with a sntch cut into one end big enough to span the flats of
the adaptor nut.  E-mail me and I'll send you a photo of the wrench.

Sort of sounds like someone had this exact same problem very recently
doesn't it??  Don't ask.

Glen Byrns