Re: [Spridgets] WWWWWWWOT - electrical house wiring!

To: cciaffone@verizon.net
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] WWWWWWWOT - electrical house wiring!
From: "Jim Johnson" <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 15:45:21 -0500
Chuck,

It's a conspiracy to keep electricians employed!  Only they know the
rules and the rules change every couple of years.

I'm not going to go into the rats nest I found in the house I had in
England back in the 60s. Don't even ask.

Cheers!!
Jim - 68 Midget in Dodge City

On 9/21/07, chuck <cciaffone@verizon.net> wrote:
> <bigrant>
> What is with this standards thing in the Amurican electrical code??
>
> We've had a switch at the top of the stairs that periodically
> seemed to have a "flat spot." It's a 4-way switch in between
> two 3-way switches all controlling one hall light.
>
> So I pulled the old switch. Two red wires on the top. Two
> white wires on the bottom. Connected the wires to the
> new 4-way switch. Two red wires on the top. Two
> white wires on the bottom.
>
> Not good.  Played swap the wires for a while, then
>  hit upon Two red wires on the left. Two
> white wires on the right. Bloody 90 degrees out
> from the original.
>
> Eureka, it works! Geronimo. Excelsior, you fat head!
>
> WHY IS THAT?
>
> </bigrant>

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to
fill the world with fools.
-Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)