[Spridgets] real axle

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: [Spridgets] real axle
From: BCAH@aol.com
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 22:44:35 EDT
Well, I am still trying to figure out just which rear axle I have on the  BI.
The PO put wire wheels on it but, of course, that half shaft is shorter that
the solid wheel unit and so will not fully engage the diff. I talked with a
fellow at" Frogeye Spares" in England and he said what they were doing was to
press the splined knock off hub away out from the half shaft and TIG weld  it
thus making it all longer. Apparently there is enough meat in the knock off
hub to do this.What happens when your splined hub wears out? Surely you must
be  able to press on a new one to the half shaft. I have seen these hubs
available  by themselves for about $110. Or does one buy the half shaft and the
splined hub  already connected? How much force do you think is needed? I have
not
seen  stronger half shafts advertised for wire wheel cars but I have seen then
for  sale for pressed ones.My man in England said that early BI with wire
wheels were  just solid wheel cars with splined adaptors bolted on.This combo
might work  because I could buy the stronger half shafts for solid wheel cars
and
bolt on  the adaptor. Might make the tire stick out more though.As the two
axles are two  different sizes ,the hand brake rods would be too. Anyone with
nothing better to  do care to send me some measurements, --from center of hole
to center of hole?  Thanks---Bob C  in KS