Re: [Spridgets] Starter Issue

To: cciaffone@verizon.net,spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Starter Issue
From: "Timothy H. Collins" <thcollin@mtu.edu>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 14:12:11 -0400
Chuck,
Time for a new ring gear and possibly pinion too.

I had a jeep with your problems. I used to try the starter and if it
didn't engage I had to open the hood, grab the fan belt and turn the
engine a bit until some "new / good" teeth rolled around. When a
engine stops, it tends to stop in one of 4, 6, or 8 places due to
engine compression. So, the teeth in those locations see more work
than the others. That's why your starter sometimes engages and some
times not. Now you need to become familiar with cold chisels,
bar-b-q's or tourch, and plan a time when you can slip a flywheel in
the deep freeze without the family knowing! LOL Good luck

btw,
I was telling this story to a guy from one of the Big 3 auto
manufactures - a "bean counter" type. He said, "I didn't know you
could still start engines that way." I guess when I told the part
about turning the engine with the fan belt, that he thought I was
starting the engine that way - much like the old hand cranks. Oh, well. . . .

Tim Collins
1966 AH Sprite