So after hammering out the dents in a really hammered fender, but one
that was long enough to match the bonnet, I tried to make the final
adjustments and clearances between fender and bonnet with the right
fender not co-operating at all.
I just could not get the bonnet straight with proper fender clearance.
And I knew leaving it as was would just chip the paint every time I
opened the bonnet.
So tonight I nailed a 2x12 across a few ceiling beams and port-o-powered
the fender down.
Now picture this, the Sprite is on 2 tall jack stands in the back and a
spackle bucket in the middle up front. So jacking down from inside the
headlamp hole makes the car pivot. Now I go around back and push on the
left rear quarter to tweak the right fender.
After several attempts, and a visit by the local building inspector
(pleasure, not business) we got the fender where it needed to be.
Tighten the bolts, put a tack weld in a couple of spots to keep it there
And now I can finish up the body work.
I am beginning to think this 67 was crushed once and hammered back into
a reasonable facsimile of a Sprite in some past life.
The frame rails are where they should be but the whole car needed lots
of tweaking. I am glad I am tweaking before paint.
I am also going to index the bonnet with a couple of pins to aid in
future R&R of it.
Toms River, NJ
Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html