Re: [Spridgets] HIF-44

To: "rrengineer@dslextreme.com" <rrengineer@dslextreme.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] HIF-44
From: "Jim Johnson" <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 10:38:22 -0600
Andy and Mike,

I don't remember sending a pic to anyone but my memory is becoming age
challenged.  The only pic I have is this one from when I had the
engine out in 2006.   (Its now out again trying to fix the Exxon
Valdez oil leak!)

http://www.starrtech.net/~jimj/mg/engine_table.jpg

Since you both have HIF-44s I have a couple of questions for YOU!

1)  Leaning out at high rpms - Did that limit your top end speed??  I
can only get to 70 with my set up!  Maybe I need to have the needle
changed?

2)  Leaking....   I'm not familiar with he HIF-44 float system but
mine leaks from time to tome while the engine is running which scares
me.  I've tried the old trick of popping the side of it with a
deadblow hammer and that stops it for a little while but then its
starts in again. I've opened it up and cleaned it out thinking I have
grit in a needle valve for the float. No fix. Could the float be
adjusted wrong?  How do you adjust the float on a 44? Is there a book
on them?

3mm clearance?  I'd have to measure mine with a feeler gauge..... Need
to adjust the bonnet when I put the engine back in...

Cheers!!
Jim

On 2/11/08, rrengineer@dslextreme.com <rrengineer@dslextreme.com> wrote:
> Could have been me.  The exhaust header is a long center branch that APT
> sells.  Connected to that is a Maniflo system for Sprites.  All of the
> intake and exhaust including the head work was done and bought at APT.
> Easy, I only 10 minutes away from there.
> Mike MacLean
> 60 Sprite
> 56 BN2
> P.S. It does NOT whistle.
>
> Andy Webster
> > Does anyone else running a HIF-44 get a whistling sound when they put
> > their foot down?
> >   I kinda like it!
> >
> >   Somebody sent me a photo a few months ago, of their 44 on a TITAN
> > manifold.. I forgot whose it is, but i wanted to ask about the exhaust
> > headers, because they look good.
> >

> >   Cost me $500 to dyno tune last week...$$ well spent.. running better
> > than ever.
> >
> >   Andy

> > Get the name you always wanted with the new y7mail email address.

Cheers!!
Jim - 68 "Spridget" in Dodge City
Don't miss "50 Years of Spridgets" at Lake of the Ozarks, June 26-29, 2008!!
For info and registration... <http://www.Sprite-MidgetClub.org>