Re: [Spridgets] Rack Clearances

To: James Gruber <thistle_3619@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Rack Clearances
From: dlancer7676@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 13:15:39 +0000
Thanks Jim.

Here's where I am in terms of front steering.   I replaced the flimsy steering
rack in my '79 with an early beefier rack from a 1275.    Everything works just
fine, except the steering feels "tight" and won't return to center when the
wheel is released in a turn.  I replaced the same shims on the same side as the
original rack had.   The "new" rack is much much quicker than the old one was.
I don't think the pinion is the problem, but I think maybe alignment is.

Maybe I need to loosen everything and reshim, but I am not sure how to arrive
at what shims to use and where to put them.  Trial and error?

--David C.
If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea...
does that mean that one enjoys it?

From: James Gruber <thistle_3619@yahoo.com>
> David,
>
>   I replaced Bugsy's, my '68 Sprite's Rack and there are copper shims when
>you
> take apart the rack. Bentley Manual details the procedure. Simple stuff you
>can
> make and shims can come from sheet copper from ther hobby store. It will be
> quite evident if shims aren't right as the rack will lock up. Not a fun
>thing.
>
>   Depending on the year of your car, consider replacing the pinion gear. That
>is
> the thing that wears in there and for my '68 the pinion gear was something
>like
> $6.95. Made a dramatic difference in steering feel.  Other years pinion is
>much
> more expensive.
>

> Jim Gruber
> Bugsy '68 Bugeye Sprite
> Cincinnati, OH
>
> ---------------------------------
   I  replaced  Bugsy's,  my '68 Sprite's Rack and there are copper shims
   when  you  take  apart the rack. Bentley Manual details the procedure.
   Simple  stuff  you  can make and shims can come from sheet copper from
   ther  hobby  store.  It will be quite evident if shims aren't right as
   the rack will lock up. Not a fun thing.

   Depending on the year of your car, consider replacing the pinion gear.
   That  is  the thing that wears in there and for my '68 the pinion gear
   was  something  like  $6.95.  Made  a  dramatic difference in steering
   feel.  Other years pinion is much more expensive.

   Jim Gruber
   Bugsy '68 Bugeye Sprite
   Cincinnati, OH

   Be a better friend, newshound, and