Re: [Spridgets] cruise control

To: "Billy Zoom" <billyzoom@billyzoom.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] cruise control
From: "Peter Shull" <pdx.pete@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 19:12:45 -0700
I was born and raised in Kansas. First, if you're out and about in the
boonies (of which there are several) you are immediately gonna draw yourself
some attention. Second, if you are identified as a "furriner" your will
immediately be held suspect. Third, like so many other small municipalities
throughout our nation, speed traps and the like can be considered an
essential source of revenue.

In my day Kechi, Kansas, which is in the south-central part of the state,
was infamous for citing infractions for furriners based upon fractions, as
in: "Well, looky there. Tags say that car is from north-central Kansas. That
means the guy's a more than 100 miles away from home and is a furriner and
just gotta be up to no good. Let's go give him a ticket, even if we have to
make something up."

A friend of mine in New England says Island Pond, Vermont, can be the same
kind of place. Says he got a ticket because the factory-installed mudflaps
on his truck were an inch or so too high off the pavement.