Re: [Spridgets] Bloody computers

To: Jim Johnson <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Bloody computers
From: Larry Macy <lmacy@phillymgclub.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 06:48:28 -0400
Oh yea, one more thing about Macs and "serious number crunching" Ever
see any Pixar movie?? CGI in general is done on Macs or Solaris, no
Winblows to be seen, cept maybe at the reception desk where the
receptionist play solitaire.

Larry

On Jun 3, 2008, at 12:54 AM, Jim Johnson wrote:

> On 6/2/08, Jim Hammack <hammack@gotslack.org> wrote:
>>
>>   But Linux runs great on older (cheap) hardware that can't keep up
>> with
>>   Vista  or  XP.   I'm  sending  this  from  a  333  MHz Pentium
>> running
>>   Slackware.   (I'm  so old, I learned Unix before Windows even
>> existed,
>>   so no steep learning curve for me.)
>>   Windoze is good for your mom to keep her recipes, but Larry is
>> right -
>>   Linux or a Mac if you're doing something serious.
>

> Well, it depends what you call serious...  I run numerical models of
> the
> atmosphere using 4D spatial analysis and 4D integration of the
> dynamic data
> sets through the equations of motion, continuity and state. These
> models
> ingest about 4 gigs of initialization data and take about 5 hours to
> run on
> my older PC. For this kind of "serious" application, you can forget
> the Mac.
> Even OSX is not up to this kind of intense number crunching. We've
> only
> recently (past 8 years) been able to do this type of computation on
> any kind
> of a desktop machine and it requires Linux or Sun Sparc Solaris.  I
> ran it
> under RedHat for about 4 years and then changed to Fedora. I really
> need to
> go to Synchronous Multi-Processor set up to shorten the computation
> time.
> Fortunately the more recent itterations of Fedora support SMP. I'm
> also old
> enough to have used Slackware back in the olden days!!  I ran it on
> an old
> IBM with an 8088 cpu and 640K RAM on the mother board!  How times
> change!
>
> Cheers!!
> Jim

Larry Macy
78 Midget

Keep your top down and your chin up.

Declare your Independence, Bring your MG to MG 2008
Valley Forge, PA June 26-29, 2008
http://mg2008.com

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
lmacy@phillymgclub.com