Re: [Spridgets] OT- Beer

To: shelden3@pldi.net
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] OT- Beer
From: "Jim Johnson" <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 17:37:23 -0500
Well, Charlie has hit a lot of the high points.  I've been at it for 35
years (yes, even before it was legal). I started kegging about 10 years ago
and always have a couple in the keggerator.
Right now its Scottish Ale and a nice British Best Bitter. A Belgian Ale in
the fermenter. I like the darker Ales but its all up to your own tastes.
I've had no problems with city water but have never really compared the some
recipe with and without so who knows?

As Charlie said, Sanitize is the magic word. Treat your brew and your
equipment like it was in the laboratory at the Center for Disease Control!!
The only failed batches of beer I've ever had were those that got infected
with bacteria or mold spores!

Some basic thoughts for the beginner:
1. Ales and stouts are much easier to brew and not nearly as fussy as pale
or blond beers, lagers, wheat beers, etc.  You can try those when you get a
little experience under your belt.
2. All extract ale kits are best to start with. You will get a nice beer
with a minimum of work and risk.
3. Twist top bottles are crap. Throw them out and use real bottles.
Champagne bottle work great!
4. Sterilize everything that will touch the beer in any way at any time.
5. Never use granular sugar. Stick with corn sugar or better yet spray dried
malt extract.
6. Start with two food grade 6 gallon pails. One is your fermenter, the
other is a bottling bucket. Check the web sites below for starters kits of
equipment you will need.
7. Prime the beer while it is in the bottling bucket for an evenly
carbonated batch.
8. Enjoy your beer!!  Almost anything you make will be drinkable!!  Even the
poorer batches I've made over the year could be drunk when mixed 50 - 50
with fizzy yellow 'Mercan beer.
9. If you want a taste of what I personally think is the best Ale made
today, go get some Arrogant Bastard Ale.  Fizzy Yellow Beer is for Wussies!

Here's some resources for you that I find handy:

http://morebeer.com/

http://beerrecipes.org/

BUY THESE:
http://www.amazon.com/New-Complete-Joy-Home-Brewing/dp/0380763664