Re: [Spridgets] Honda CV Joint

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Honda CV Joint
From: "David Lieb" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 08:46:49 -0500
> I agree with you an almost all points.  Except for this one:

>> Bad CV joints won't strand a car, someone else noted that there
>> would be plenty of warning.

> For a car person that's true.  The CV's will get to a point where we
> will know that it is time to stop driving the car.  For the person
> that is not a car person they will drive the car with "that funny
> noise" until the CV's fall out or shear.

Having a daughter whose description of a car that stalled at stop signs was,
"I pushed down on the pedal and it didn't go 'VROOM'", I guess Lester has a
good point here. Also, my ex-wife was stranded once by a CV joint, although
that was a situation where the bolts holding it to the transaxle came out
and the CV joint flew off and hit the shifter mechanism, bending the rods in
the transaxle. Fortunately, it was a 1979 Horizon with the VW Rabbit guts in
it and was already on its last legs. I opened it up, saw the damage and
figured I might as well just beat the rods straight again, put it back
together, and when it died again I could just replace it without needing to
open it up again. Kept driving that car until the front shock towers started
to come up through the bonnet a few years later.
David