Re: [Spridgets] Bugeye original paint

To: "'Dean Hedin'" <dlh2001@comcast.net>, "'Spridgets'"
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Bugeye original paint
From: "B- Evans" <b-evans@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 21:46:39 -0700
Dean Hedlin wrote:  "Would that be Dulux enamel?"

I am not sure of the brand, but it was a cellulose paint, and for
environmental reasons, that is no longer available.   The paint "code" is
easily found (my Old English White, for example is WT3).   However, those
codes are meaningless without knowing the formula.   The problem with most
"modern" paints is that they just don't look "right" to those who owned the
cars when they were new.  They are, as I believe someone remarked,
"plastic".   (I wonder how concours rules treat the paint on restored cars.)

I was very fortunate when I was getting ready to have my Bugeye painted
before the BusterCluster.   I was not having any luck finding a paint shop
until I checked the local MAACO.   They were fantastic.   They worked and
worked trying to get a match to the original OEW.  They even had the DuPont
paint labs involved.   Frank Clarici gave them some hints, and we were able
to remove the tail light assembly to use some virgin paint as a guide.  They
had mixed of three separate "final" formulae before they hit the jackpot
with a perfect match.   But, I was very fortunate in finding a shop owner
who enjoyed a challenge, and a shop estimator who owned a Bugeye in the
early 1960's, and to this day regrets selling it (or rather, having his
ex-wife grab it!)

Buster