Re: [Spridgets] Bugeye original paint

To: "'David Lieb'" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>, "'Spridgets'"
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Bugeye original paint
From: "B- Evans" <b-evans@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 09:06:29 -0700
David Lieb wrote:  "According to the 1977 FIA Yearbook, Appendix I, "The use
of distinctive colours of nationality is compulsory when the supplementary
regulations require it. These colours are determined by the nationality of
the competitor."  Who is the "coompetitor"? Team owner? Driver?"

I  believe the FIA relaxed the "national color" rule in when it started
Formula 1 racing in 1969 or 1970, and for everything else shortly
thereafter.   The "competitor" has always been the team owner, for they are
the ones who enter the race, while the driver is simply a hired hand.
(Think of   Fangio, an Argentine, racing a red Alfa and then a silver (or
metal) Mercedes.)  It may not have been FIA sanctioned, but how many times
was the driver of the winning Indy car not the same driver who started the
race?  (No matter if there was a single driver for 499 miles, ONLY the
driver who finished in first place was the "winner"!)   How many here
remember the "back up" drivers ready to step in during the races that went
for many hours.   Then there were the multiple drivers of one car in
endurance races such as the 24 Hours of LeMans.   Curious that I remember
that the winning teams back in the 50's and 60's had two drivers, while in
the last decade or so, to win has required at least three drivers (were
there ever more?)

Buster