Re: [Spridgets] garage door

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] garage door
From: "Glen Byrns" <grbyrns@ucdavis.edu>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 09:56:54 -0700
I keep hearing people to the red handle cord as an emergency "stop" or
"release" cord.  It disconnects the door from the drive.  If you haven't set
the balance spring correctly, pulling the cord simply lets the door fall or
rise without any interference from the motor, eliminating any chance for the
auto-safety mechanism to work.  If the springs heven't enough tension to
balance the door's weight, then pulling the red handle will send the dorr
straight down onto whatever is below it.  Set the balance springs to more
than equal the door's weight, and pulling the handle will let the door go
right back up.  Good failsafe.  This refers only to the sectional doors that
go up into tracks and have a big coiled spring residing above the door.  The
normal single panel door can also be adjusted with the correct springs to
weigh "less" or "more" to suit.  With the automatic opener on a single panel
door, I'd use strong springs that tend to open the door if it isn't held
shut.  Tho opener will have to work to close it, but a failure or red handle
pull will not send the door crashing down on you or your precious LBC.

Glen Byrns