Re: [Spridgets] Intake Manifolds

To: "Timothy H. Collins" <thcollin@mtu.edu>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Intake Manifolds
From: "John D. Caffrey" <jdc6@Lehigh.EDU>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 10:48:40 -0500 (EST)
   Timothy H. Collins wrote:

   Why  is  that  chamfer  there? The bakelite blocks I have seen are a >
   constant  1.25" in diameter. It seems to me that when assembled, there
   >  is  a  discontinuity at the point the bakelite meets the manifold -
   two > different diameters. >Please explain why the chamfer is on these
   manifolds. My 1098 > manifold has no chamfer. >

   Some  of  the manifolds I've seen are very thick at the bend, and that
   chamfer  leaves  a hole that is much smaller than it should be, but it
   is  the  best  transition  you  can obtain without much more work. The
   chamfer  is  just  the easiest thing they could do in one operation to
   clean  up  the  opening.  A straight bore on the same axis as the carb
   would leave a horrible step and obstruction to flow.

   John

   Fogelsville, PA