Re: [Spridgets] 70 Tiger - Brit Bike Comment

To: "David Lieb" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] 70 Tiger - Brit Bike Comment
From: "Jim Johnson" <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 15:07:23 -0600
Only if there is no voltage regulator in the system. The only drawback I
know of with a magneto system with no battery is that there is no load on
the battery charging circuit. As a result, and over a great deal of time,
the magnetic field in the magento armature weakens and the magnets need to
be re-magnetized. It is a fairly easy thing to do however.

Cheers!!
Jim

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 2:35 PM, David Lieb <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>wrote:

> What kind of battery eliminator was it? I thought those bikes were magneto
>> systems like my 64 BMW. I can run it just fine with no battery.  The old
>> Tiger I had when in high school (don't ask when) was a magneto bike too.
>> It
>> ran just fine with no battery.
>>

> I was under the impression that running them with no battery tended to
> allow the voltage to fluctuate madly and burn stuff out for you?
> David Lieb

> You are subscribed as bmwwxman@gmail.com
>
> http://www.team.net/archive

Cheers!!
Jim
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough
to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson