Re: [Spridgets] OT - External hard drives

To: <cciaffone@verizon.net>, "'Spridgets'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] OT - External hard drives
From: "Chris Manuel" <cmanuel@wi.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 18:36:42 -0600
Most major brand hard drives have come a long way through the years.

Bottom line is don't move them, especially if they are still moving.

Usually these drives spin at 5400 or 7200 rpm when on.  Regardless,
something will go crunch on them eventually.  Sound familiar?

If you do have mission critical stuff, regardless of mac or pc, I would
advise getting a second drive and mirror the original.  In this scenario,
you have two drives that act as one.  If one drive fails, the other will
take over.

Creating a ghost image weekly of the drive is nice too.  Ghosting is a down
and dirty way of making a snapshot of your disk and storing it for later
use.  You might lose a week of work, but not a couple years.

Email me off list if you need more info

Chris

66MKIII
Brookfield, WI