[Spridgets] Cooling

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: [Spridgets] Cooling
From: Kirk Hargreaves <khargreaves2@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 07:41:28 -0800
I run a high mix of purified water against coolant which seems to help.  Not
sure about Redline "Water Wetter."

I used to add it, but was not able to really verify the results.

My car with stock radiator was pulling up to the 220, and at times above
temps.

My son had an old Suxuki Swift that was not running.  I grabbed the radiator
from it (similiar to a GEO Metro) and installed it with the electric fan.  I
had to trim the tips of the fan blades as they were hitting the steering
rack.

I also added a thermostat to indicate when I want the fan to turn on.  I
forget where I found the thermostat, although I think I recall that I
actually bought it from Auto Zone.

With blanking sleeve, I am also running too cool, 160 in the winter and
never over 170 in the summer, even sitting in 100 degree heat at stop
lights.

I remember something about small block Chevys originally running around
160?  Of course, different animal.

My engine (1275 with OER like Weber, headers, Pertronix coil and electronic
unit in a Mallory Dual Point).

It warms up fast and runs as smooth as silk with a nice little burble on
downshifts coming out of the Monza exhaust that I over paid for via Moss
Motors.     I also run have a 1974 Midget rib case with a first gear that is
too noisy.

*Here is a question if you have read this far!  My only source of engine
breathing is via a air vented filtered oil cap on a aftermarket valve
cover.  I guess that I should be running a second source of breathing off
the blank plate that sits where the old lever type fuel pump used to
reside?

I cut a tube to weld onto the plate - after I would drill a hole in the
plate, but have not gotten to it yet.   I would run a hose from the tube
upward to a can.
*
Kirk
59BE