Re: [Spridgets] Actual LBC!!!

To: jjj@acsnet.com
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Actual LBC!!!
From: CosmicMag1380 <cosmicmag1380@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 23:09:12 -0700
On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 8:29 PM, <jjj@acsnet.com> wrote:

Are they worth the trouble?
That depends on what you want out of your car... They are unique, rare and
some might say "cool".

Are they a royal PIA?
Not after you get them installed properly and running right. Until then,
they can be...

What kind of life can a guy get out of them?
They actually last a long time if they are run within their limits. They are
rough on the engine bearings. You will have to replace the bearings every
10K miles to be safe.

How difficult are they to rebuild?
The part that wears the most is the vanes. The originals are hard to find
but there are vanes made of other materials that have been successfully
used.

What should you be asking a seller? Ect.
Is it complete? The compressor with belt tensioner, crank pulley, oil
injecter, mounting brace (bracket) all there?

Please note: The Judson SP-1 was designed for a 948 CC engine. It does not
work well in its stock configuration on an 1100 or 1275. Because of the
increased volume of 1100 or 1275 engines, it does not provide the pressure
(boost) needed for the performance enhancement that one expects. If
overdriven to compensate, the bearings will fail quickly since they are
rated for less than 6K RPM. Heat is also a problem with using it on the
larger engines. Another well known issue on larger engines is the carb.
There is a flat spot between idle and higher RPM with the stock Holley carb.
Some folks have had success with a 1 & 3/4 inch SU conversion.

George Folchi is the Judson guru and can answer questions with great
certainty. He also is the primo rebuilder of Judsons.

There are a couple of guys on this list that run Judsons and will probably
chime in. I have one that I ran on my car in the early 80s when it was an
autocrosser. I ran a 1380 but did not have the regular problems since it was
either idling or running wide open for really short priods of time. No heat
and no flat spot issues...

I also have a Judson for an MGA 1500 that I plan to adapt to my 1380 some
day to eliminate the problems that crop up in a street car. My future plans
for the SP-1 include taking a 10CC block and sleeving it down to make it a
948. The 2 inch mains make it better for the Judson.

--
Kent
1960 Bugeye