[Spridgets] Paint Question

To: spritenut@comcast.net
Subject: [Spridgets] Paint Question
From: Kirk Hargreaves <khargreaves2@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 15:16:43 -0700
Frank,

Just for recall, I am the guy who a long long time ago sent a gas tank to
you.

First off, I paint full time.  I have painted numerous Harleys in two stage
format, base color and clear, color sanding and buffing. . you know the
whole bit.

These days I am full time restoring guitar finishes on mostly very expensive
vintage guitars.  I currently have 4 in the "shop" and two more being sent
to me Monday next week.  I also have a very nice little walk in booth that I
built on the side of our house.   The guitar thing has been keeping me super
busy.  Most of my refinish work is in nitrocellulose lacquer, and also some
in poly.  I shoot burst jobs and flames from time to time as well.

I shot an old guitar body the other day in white Rustoleum,  Since this is a
cheapo thing for myself - I thought I would experiment using Rustoleum as a
base to go under a pearlized white.

I was so impressed with how the Rustoleum flowed out of the gun and how it
laid down that I began wondering if I should shoot my Bugeye with it?
Currently, my BE is in a crappy yellow job (from the previous owner).

My intent has been to eventually shoot it in Wimbledon White or Olde E.
White.  This would be me shooting the car in my prepped garage.

However, since I have some experience in matching colors, I am also getting
the idea to add a bit of grey into the formula (Rustoleum) in order to get
as close as possible to look of Olde English White.   (I have a color chart
with Olde E. White to use as a reference).

My BE is a quick little daily driver with a 1275, headers, OER Weber
equivalent carb (DCOE 45 type), electric fan, electric fuel pump, high
energy ignition and Pertronix sitting inside a Mallory dual point.  Urethane
bushings and lowered racing springs in front, sway bar. . .. Monza exhaust
from Moss Motors. .  just a bunch of stuff - rib case gear box, etc etc
etc.  Basically, a daily driver car (that I cannot stay out of).

So I am not interested in getting the white "show time" perfect, but as
close as possible to Olde English.

Have you ever had any experience using Rustoleum on a car. . or know someone
who has?

I am also wondering how it buffs out as a single stage job?  I guess I will
have to shoot some on something to see how it might buff out.   I want to be
familiar with how it buffs out, if I can color sand it. . . being white it
is subject to picking up a bit of debris that I would want to sand out and
buff.  And how it blends if I need to thin it out to the max and create a
blend somewhere?

For a non show car - I am thinking that this might be an inexpensive way to
go with very decent results?

Either that or I am losing my perspective on how to approach this!

What is your take and what have you used for the white cars I have seen you
build?  The Holy Sprite was shot in white by you?

Kirk