Re: [Spridgets] FIAT

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] FIAT
From: "Robert Duquette" <robertduquette@sympatico.ca>
Date: Sat, 9 May 2009 08:58:07 -0400
According to wikipedia:
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_X1/9 )

"
The first models featured a 75 bhp (56 kW) 1290 cc single overhead cam
engine with an aluminium head. In this form, the car had less than dramatic
performance, hampered somewhat by the surprisingly heavy body shell. The
weight largely stems from the immense strength of the bodyshell, built to
give the car the same crash resistance in US crash tests as a sedan.
Ironically while the X1/9 passed these tests, many standard US models of the
day failed them, and eventually the test criteria were relaxed. However, the
design was complete by then and so the bodyshell stiffness is considerable
for a car of its type, and it also allows power plants of much greater power
to be fitted without modification of the standard shell.
"