[Spridgets] Routine maintainance

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] Routine maintainance
From: Frank <spritenut@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 09 May 2009 21:46:50 -0400
With my annual Carlisle trip less than a week away, I decided to change
the oil, adjust the brakes and all that stuff to my 59 today.
Well first off, it would not start. Toasted electronic ignition. Simple
fix, drop in the points dizzy and it fired right up, ran alot better too.
I was having some minor issues with a high speed miss and hard starting.
Now I had to re-adjust the carbs.
So off to the local shop to see about if they mounted the tires for the
69. Not yet but while I was there and since they are a modern car
electronic/wheel/alarm shop, I asked what the hell an E-99 message on my
CD player was? My 8 track player never said that, nor did my cassette
player.
So the kid looks at it, resets it, and then pulls it out, pops in a
brand new CD player and all is now good again.
I asked what do I owe, he said it's under warranty, my kid bought it
from him 2 years ago for my birthday. He said he will return it since
it's a bum unit.
(made in china) but at least the LOCAL SHOP made good and I didn't even
ask. And he mounted my tires for the 69 too.
It was the kid at the shop that asked why my car was rolling with the E
brake up? I told him I had to adjust the brakes.
Well I did and the rear wheel still spun. Off with the tire and drum,
leaky wheel cylinder makes for no E brake on that side.
So new shoes and some quick thinking and a spare new wheel cylinder on
the shelf and now I have all 4 wheels stopping the car.
Changed the oil, checked all the juices, finished some final touches on
the new CD player face plate since it didn't quite fit and now I am
ready for the summer driving season.
I restored this car 6 years ago, I haven't done much to it other than
routine maintainance  but I never pulled off the brake drums to check
for leaks.
I am pulling it apart next year to de-seam the rear tub and get rid of
that rust catcher, givr it a new paint job and redo all the stuff that
should be done every 5 years or so.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ