[Spridgets] Spridget Water Pump

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: [Spridgets] Spridget Water Pump
From: "Timothy H. Collins" <thcollin@mtu.edu>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 20:36:02 -0400
I opened my box of used Sprite parts and found an old cast iron water
pump there. I remember it leaking about 35 years ago so it was
changed out. Today as I held it in my hand I wondered "what's in one
of those - can they be repaired?" So the tear down began. I used a
gear puller and pulled the fan mount off of the shaft. That wasn't to
difficult although I used a bit of heat. Then I used an aluminum
drift and punched the shaft out the impeller end of the pump. So far
so good. The shaft came out with the bearing(s) and race attached.
Next, I took the gear puller and tried to get the race loose. It was
at this step that the explosion occurred that spread shrapnel and
grease around the garage. After I settled down, I found the bearing
race (this is a piece about 2 inches long and 1 inch in diameter and
about 1/16 thick) had split into at least 4 pieces (I'll know better
if and when I find the rest of the parts). I found 8 ball bearings
and two bearing cages. I think there were 6 balls per bearing, but
I'll know better when I find the rest of the parts. I'd like to see
an exploded view of a Spridget water pump. I saw an exploded view
today, but it went by to quick to study.

Tim Collins
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12702006@N07/