Re: [Spridgets] Spridget Water Pump

To: Peter Caldwell <peter@nosimport.com>,spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Spridget Water Pump
From: "Timothy H. Collins" <thcollin@mtu.edu>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 14:00:45 -0400
Professor Peter
Thanks for the great lesson on Spridget water pumps!

PPP> They typically are "lubricated for life" as they are sealed at each end.
Interesting, I assumed the screw into the bearing area was there for
periodic greasing maintenance. Maybe I have the "Old type" pump??

PPP> Takes some time and some tooling.
I can't imagine that you'd make any money fooling with them unless
someone had to have an exact original pump and then of course the
pricing structure would be different. Replacements of the aluminum
kind are around $25. That can't be much of your shop labor/overhead
time not to mention parts.

The internals of the water pump are interesting and it is sad, to me,
that they have become throw away items. This seems to be a small
picture of the larger problem in our throw away society. The
government is now encouraging folks to get rid of their "old" car and
buy new - like that's a small, easy to do, thing. I would think that
most families think twice and three times before making a purchase of
that size.

Thanks again. I need to find something else to take apart now. LOL

Tim Collins
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12702006@N07/