Re: [Spridgets] writing the book...

To: "North Bay British Car Club" <nobbc@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] writing the book...
From: Jim Johnson <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 00:38:10 -0500
All,

I am presently maintaining the content on the club website at:
www.Sprite-MidgetClub.org

Go look at the "Resources" page from the top menu. That's where this would
go and it would look very much like the Tech Tips page for BMW motorcycles
that I sent out. I envision individuals submitting Tech articles with and
without pictures and/or videos which I can then assemble into a table of
contents much like Frank suggests. My thought is to break it down by systems
for the Spridget. IE:  Chassis, Brakes, Drive Train, Wheels, Clutch,
Dashboard, Interior, Wiring and Electrical, Engine, Cooling System... you
get the idea.

I am glad to make the contribution of assembling the tech tips pages for
easy access if all of you Presidents are willing to send your tips in to
SpriteMidgetClub@gmail.com

While youtube videos are nice, it is very difficult to go into great detail
with them.  Also, I'm not sure we want to market them on CD or DVD. A lot of
legal problems arise from that. I feel they should just be available to
enthusiasts as free links on the website.  Wiki is a real problem. There are
already Wiki pages for the Sprite and the Midget. Anyone can get into Wiki
and make subtle changes which might cause problems. Think about it. What if
someone malicious edited the Wiki for, say, valve clearances? We could have
some damaged engines out there for people who don't know better. Better to
link from Wiki to the club resources page I think. Much easier to precent
malicious attacks.

Finally, if we do this, (and I believe we should) then we will need a team
of experts to vet each tech tip for accuracy before it is cleared to go on
the site. We should have about 5 *experts* willing to review the tech tips.
Who volunteers?   ;-)

This will take a few years to grow a good set of Tech Tips and will be an
ongoing project for many years to come. Long after some of us Old Fa*ts are
gone. And it will be a great legacy for new generations of Spridgeteers.

Cheers!!
OF Jim

--
Cheers!!