Re: [Spridgets] BE MC Question

To: "WFO Herb" <froggi60@gmail.com>, "Spridgeteers"
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] BE MC Question
From: "Dean Hedin" <dlh2001@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 01:38:15 -0400
Couple things could be wrong:

Someone replaced brake lines in the past and tried to substitute modern
fittings which
are not designed for bubble flares.

Along with above, the lines may have the wrong type of flare.

The original fittings can crack around the portion of the fitting
that squeezes the bubble flair (a result of over-tightening perhaps)
This may (or may not) cause a leak, it all depends if the bubble flare is well
seated.

You could have had corrosion in the holes in the master cylinder, on the faces
that the bubble flares
press up against.

Your bubble flares could be over crushed, in which case, a new flare is in
order.

The O-ring solution sounds a little dodgey to me, the o rings could degrade and
then could blow out unexpectedly.

FYI,  This evening I bent & flared new lines that go from the brass brake
switch fitting to each of the front brakes.
These lines have different flares on each end.   The ends that go to the brass
brake switch have bubble flares.
The ends that go to the flexable lines at each wheel have a regular
(non-bubble) "Y" flare.

And yes, you can do a proper bubble flare with the harbour freight flaring
tool, with a little practice.
I'll see if I can do some photos when I do some of the other lines this weekend.