[Spridgets] What a cluster___

To: Spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] What a cluster___
From: Jeff Foster <tr3.4.me@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 16:06:12 -0500
First the obligatory Spridget content ...
Took the family to Saint Louis to do the Anheuser-Busch Brewery tour
and catch a Cardinals baseball game yesterday.  Saw a decent looking
orange rubber bumper Midget on the US61 outer road on the way in to
STL out around the Moscow Mills area.  Only MG I spotted all day.  :-(

I'm not in STL a lot these days, but have been there often enough that
I rarely carry a map anymore - what a mistake that was.  When going
downtown we usually come in from the Northwest on I70 and then catch
I64 Westbound back out to Northbound US61. After the game we did a bit
of walking / sightseeing downtown and then headed out Market Street
(so the kids could see Union Station) to catch I64.

Shortly after getting on I64 we were met with signs saying "Interstate
Closed - All Traffic Must Exit".  I'm thinking OK, that's wierd, lane
cosures happen all the time down there but I didn't know they
completely closed major corridors.  Whatever; we'll just follow the
detour and be on our way.  Wrong!  Not a single detour sign anywhere!
That was quite helpful at 1 o'clock in the morning.  Not!
Criss-crossing back an forth around the area, and backtracking a
couple of times we found ourselves in questionable neighborhoods, we
finally found a road name I recognized and ended up adding a solid 45
minutes to our trip.

My only guess is that they figure the locals know their way around it,
and the detours for interstate travellers was given a couple of miles
before where we got on the highway where other interstate routes could
have been chosen.

I'm still shaking my head in disbelief that they closed an
_interstate_ route and had no marked detours at the actual closure
point, just concrete barriers and ripped up pavement.

Oh well, at least I got to see a nice Midget on the road, and the boys
got to witness a Pujols homerun hit at a winning Cardinals game (our
first game attendance).