Re: [Spridgets] What size engine is in a 74 Midget?

To: "Linda Grunthaner" <grunthaner@gmail.com>, "Spridget list"
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] What size engine is in a 74 Midget?
From: "Paul Asgeirsson" <PAsgeirsson@att.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 09:45:31 -0700
Hi Linda,

I bought a 1275 Short block engine once that had been in a Midget that
turned over in a wreck and caught fire.  I didn't know that whe I bought it!

Got hot enough to melt the rod and main bearing material and it ran down the
oil galleys and soldered up the rocker arms on the shaft!!!  Also melted the
cam retainer plate surface.  Boy!  Does that ever make an interesting noise!

Replaced all that stuff from the wrecking yard new stock and drove it over
100 k miles before I did another rebuild.  Rebuilt it and drove it over 200
k before retiring it!  Other than the melted bearing stuff, the fire didn't
hurt any other mechanicals in the engine

Later, Paul A