Re: [Spridgets] Help - Seemingly Incurable Brake Fade

To: Billy Zoom <billyzoom@billyzoom.com>, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Help - Seemingly Incurable Brake Fade
From: Jim Johnson <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 11:58:33 -0700
Daniel,

Just using the math here....  Where am I going wrong....

Quote from

http://www.team-integra.net/sections/articles/showArticle.asp?ArticleID=704

**Lateral g-force = 1.22 * radius of track / (lap time * lap time)

Make sure radius is in feet, and time is in seconds. The number you are left
with is your maximum lateral g-force.**

Given a corner radius of 100 feet with, say, 10 seconds around the corner -
I get:

G = 1.22*100/(10*10)  =  1.2 Gs

Ergo, 1.5 Gs is not an unreasonable value.

Now... I admit I haven't actually timed a Spridget around a 100 foot radius
circle so I don't know if that time is reasonable or not.  10 seconds might
be too short a lap time. If so, lateral G would go under 1.   However...
it seems at least mathematically reasonable.

Such a circle has a circumference of C = pie*D = 3.14*200' = 628 ft.
Navigating that distance in 10 seconds we get 62.8 ft / sec which comes to
42.8 mph.  Is that possible?  I don't know but I'm willing to bet Frank
could do it in the Speedwell Sprite   ;-)

Anyway, its an interesting engineering problem.  I also suspect that
instantaneous lateral G force during the lap might vary significantly. There
may actually be times when the vehicle experiences an instantaneous lateral
G somewhat higher and somewhat lower??

Cheers!!
Jim

--