Re: [Spridgets] Will 1972 Chevrolet Vega GT wheel's fit my 62

To: Spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>, Linda Grunthaner
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Will 1972 Chevrolet Vega GT wheel's fit my 62
From: fastvee <fastvee@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 09:31:31 -0700 (PDT)
Hello Lin,
This is tough to answer with confidence because there are so many variables. I
have a set of Vega wheels, but can't guarantee all of the dimensions matches
your GT wheels. I installed them this morning to check some things because I
last used these with flares and rain tires.The .wheels bolt on to the rear
just fine, but I don't believe they will  fit a square arch with 185-60/13
tires without making additional clearance. They may work with 175-70's, but I
can't be certain because my wheel wells have already been massaged for
clearance. The wheels will not bolt on to the front. There is a portion of the
front hub that is approx. 2.7" diameter that interferes because the center
hole of the Vega wheel is only 2-3/8" ID. This is easily fixed if you use a
1/4" spacer, but then the track width will be wider and may cause a clearance
problem. The hub could be machined on a lathe to eliminate spacers and the
resulting wider track track width. The most
 important thing is that you do not ignore what David Lieb and DaveRiker said
about the lug nuts not being large enough. Besides the Minator lug nuts there
are 3/8-24 lug nuts being sold on ebay that have a small hex and large 60
degree face that may work. I will try to find them today and try them. I can't
blame you if you don't want to make any modifications to use these wheels, but
these are relatively minor changes.
John
Fogelsville, PA

best thing you can do is drop a wheel on the studs with the car jacked up
under the rear end and have a look see. You could also cut a template of the
tire profile from cardboard and tape it to the wheel. If you measure the wheel
and calculate the offset we could compare wheels.