Re: [Spridgets] Master-slave cylinder

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>, "Joe Lansing" <kidjoevid@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Master-slave cylinder
From: "Dean Hedin" <dlh2001@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 16:13:16 -0500
If you go to a larger bore slave you will get even less travel.

This is because you have increased the volume of the slave by boring it out.

I am running a 3/4 master with a stock bugeye slave with a 1275  pressure plate.
The clutch feel is slightly stiff but I am quite happy with it.

I don't think 1/2" - 3/4" travel is bad.  It only takes a slight amount of
movement
to disengage the pressure plate from the clutch disk.  There is sufficient
adjustment in the rest of
the system to accomodate the differences.

If you are having issues with clutch opperation then I think your problem is
that you need to
take up more slack at the slave rod adjustment.

The question of a different slave bore size is really a determinant of the
clutch stiffness at the pedal and not
so much about the stroke (within reason).   To get a softer feel at the pedal
you would go to a larger
bore slave, and to get a stiffer feel you would go to a smaller bore.

I seem to recall that there is something in the Rivergate instructions
regarding the slave rod length adjustment.
You should start with a small amount of free play (I think the instruction say
about 1/4 inch).
You must have some amount a free play down at the slave.

In addition you should look at the sprite factory service manual regarding the
adjustment nuts
in the pedal box to take up the pedal free play.