Re: [Spridgets] Vacuum advance

To: Michael Rowe <mdrowe@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Vacuum advance
From: derf <derf247@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 16:19:08 -0600
On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 4:08 PM, Michael Rowe <mdrowe@optonline.net> wrote:
> Ported or manifold?  Since I have no tube, I can put it either place.  I
> think I have seen both on 1275 engines.

Depends on the dizzy setup, no?
When it comes to dizzies it is best to have one set up by someone who
knows and can test and calibrate them.  You tell them vacuum or no,
ported or manifold, engine specs, driving style, etc.  I played a lot
with both vacuum and mechanical only dizzies and they can be tough to
tune.  Many people consider the mechanical only a high performance
item but I think that is incorrectly attributed to them because it was
the easiest thing to do when using a side draft Weber.  And, the
Cooper S dizzies were mechanical only.  A vacuum dizzy can be just as
effective as a mech only, and even better in many circumstances.
Either style will benefit greatly from proper tuning.