Re: [Spridgets] paging Peter C

To: "Bill Gilroy" <wmgilroy@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] paging Peter C
From: "Bud Osbourne" <abcoz@hky.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 19:40:19 -0500
Yeah, the CEL has been an almost full-time feature of my Golf since about
60,000 miles (that's 236,000 miles of looking at the CEL).  The Passat, on the
other hand, never displayed the CEL, except for when the coil went bad.
Really, I've learned not to pay any attention to the CEL in my Golf, so I no
longer notice it.  I've had it taken care of a few times, only to have it come
back on after only a few miles/minutes of leaving the VW dealer.  But, I was
only charged for one scan, plus a token charge for whatever had to be done,
the first time.  Like I said, I've been very happy with my local VW dealer.
They've managed to get it through emissions testing, each year, without having
to charge me for fixing anything (and, emission-wise, there has never been
anything wrong with the car, anyway).  Like I said..........
I'm surprised to hear that VWoA refused to cover the CEL under warranty, since
you would have been on record at your dealer as having the problem before the
car went out of warranty.  I'd be pissed, too.  With my Golf, after some
research, I told my dealer I could live with it, rather than have them
constantly trying to extinguish it (they would have kept on trying, at their
expense.....since I paid for it once and it didn't "hold".......but they'd
have to get into some areas I really didn't want to disturb unless it was
absolutely necessary (MAF, ECU.....some Bosch stuff is better off never being
touched, as long as it works, 'cause it's bad juju for the rest of the car).
Really, the only thing that I've been unhappy about, with our Passat, is the
cost of brake service.  It seems like every other brake pad change is
accompanied by new rotors.  I realize that, with the banning of certain
friction materials, the wear factor on brake rotors is high, plus no one wants
to risk cutting (re-surfacing) ventilated rotors, due to the corrosion issues
(they corrode from inside, out).  Also, in PA, they (mechanics performing
state inspection) are required by law to replace rotors when they get below a
certain percentage of original thickness.  Our region's frequent use of very
aggressive (read: corrosive) de-icing materials plays a major role in that
equation (corroding from the inside).
Bud Osbourne