[Spridgets] Valves

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] Valves
From: Michael Rowe <mdrowe@optonline.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 20:45:57 -0500
I realized today that I had not taken everything off of my head.  It turns out
that the intake rubber seals were in really good condition, not at all stiff or
cracked, so this head may have been worked on fairly recently.  Except for
being badly gucked up with carbon, the valves appear to be in good condition as
well, so maybe they are as new as the seals.  I will use larger intake valves.
Is there any reason to replace exhaust valves that appear to be good?  How
about valve guides?

I have yet to find 1.4" intake valves with long collets.  The catalogues show
all 1275 engines with short collets.  Does that matter?  If so, who has big
valves with long collets?

So far, I have only found one machine shop near me that has equipment small
enough to do my little engine.  He did racing engines until the local drag
strip closed down, so he should do well enough for my "warm" engine.

Michael Rowe
'74 Midget
'60 Sprite kit
Long Island, NY